Toss up a bowl of this wholesome quinoa microgreen salad for a satisfying and delicious meal!
The fibrous salad packs a flavorful punch and a yummy bite. The mild and nutty quinoa tastes incredible with the tender black beans, sweet onions, refreshing crunch of cucumbers, and sweet-spicy microgreens.
A bit on the Microgreens
The microgreens are the tiny plants sprouting from the seed. It can be understood as young vegetable greens or micro herbs that are in the stage between sprout and baby greens. They have a sweet, spicy, and subtle bitter taste. Their bright color, aroma, crisp texture, flavor, and incredible health benefits make them a key ingredient in salads, main course dishes as well as sauces.
Microgreens are dense in nutrient content. They contain various vitamins and minerals essential to keeping the human body healthy. Additionally, they are rich in antioxidants which help safeguard the cells from free radicals.
Including microgreens in the daily diet is a delicious way to keep various diseases at bay. Polyphenols present in microgreens curb the risks of heart diseases and Alzheimers. It also protects against different cancer-causing agents.
How to incorporate microgreens into our everyday diet?
Microgreens are super easy to include in the everyday diet as they can be eaten raw. Both their stems & leaves are edible. They can be added directly without any prepping.
They are a fabulous ingredient to be added to juices and smoothies. Add a handful of microgreens to your juicer/blender along with fresh fruits or veggies for a nourishing drink.
You can also add microgreens to various cold and hot dishes. For instance, mix the microgreens in various filings for sandwiches, tacos, or wrap. You can blend it with fresh herbs and spices to create a healthy sauce or dip. You may use it as a garnish on pizza, pasta, omelets, or soups. They also infuse unique flavor when stirred in stews and curries.
Wholesome Quinoa Microgreens Salad Recipe
Total Time: 30 minutes; Serves: 6
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 3/4 cup vegetable broth (low-sodium)
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt (as per taste)
- 1 can of black beans (liquid drained & rinsed)
- 1 red bell pepper (deseeded & sliced)
- 1 red onion (sliced)
- 1 medium cucumber (chopped)
- 1 cup of fresh microgreens (EYM Healthy Mix or EYM Coriander Microgreens)
For the Dressing
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- Begin by preparing the quinoa.
- Put the quinoa in a mesh sieve, rinse thoroughly under running tap water, shake off the excess water, and transfer to a saucepan.
- Pour the vegetable broth and water into the saucepan, and season with salt as per taste.
- Place the saucepan on the gas stove over medium-high heat and let it come to a boil.
- Then, adjust the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 mins till all the liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork & keep aside to cool.
- Next, prepare the dressing by whisking the olive oil with honey, ginger powder, cumin powder, and lemon juice in a bowl. Set aside.
- Transfer the cooked quinoa, black beans, sliced bell pepper, sliced onions, chopped cucumber, and microgreens into a mixing bowl. Drizzle the dressing and toss well.
Finally, garnish the wholesome quinoa microgreens salad with coriander leaves and divide into serving bowls. Enjoy!